Sunday, February 9, 2014

We Get Together Every Time We Can

I had the pleasure of spending 12 days with my glorious friend, Little Miss Ashley . Normally, I only get to spend 3-4 days with long distance friends, so this was quite a treat. Us Southern gals discovered new places, movies, and music while prowling through the state of Texas. We are both park/nature fanatics, so finding a place to bask in the outdoors was a must. Even though I have lived in Texas for a good three and a half years, I have yet to really explore. 




Our first discovery was Hermann Park. There was a new sculpture installation that was literally a time machine back to Labyrinth. Check out Ash's blog to see the pics! Once this awful wind, rain, and coldness disappears, I will be back to play some tunes and soak in the sunshine. After our park fix, we headed on over to Cactus Music for vinyl hunting and Stag's Head for Abita's and pub hummus.






Next Tejas discovery was Old Katy. This town is the perfect example of a southern small town. Stores and restaurants are not very updated, and the architecture has stayed the same. I had heard of this place before, but I tried to avoid it like the plague. I came from a very very small town, and I moved away as soon as I could, but as I get older I have come to appreciate and adore my roots. Even though it was 29 degrees on this day, my heart was warmed and I felt at home. Seriously, put me on a front porch and a guitar in hand, and I am the happiest of happy. Guess I am a southerner for life, no matter how many places I have lived. PS if you are looking for amazing and fairly priced vintage jewelry, Old Katy is the place to go! There is a whole strip of Antique shops near 2nd Street, and both Ash and I found amazing furniture, posters, and other knick knacks. 







After our long days of Tejas discoveries, we needed a little "wine-ing" down. For the menu we chose to make a vegetarian and gluten free pasta dish with a salad made out of basically everything that sounded good that was available in my pantry. And of course when I am doing any activity (even sleeping), I need a soundtrack. I have really been digging Maggie Koerner since my friend Curtis discovered her. If Bonnie Raitt and Norah Jones had a baby, it would be Maggie. This little Southern Belle is amazing and everyone should check her out. After dinner and a few white wine spritzers. we had a Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie marathon and our very own karaoke show on my outdoor balcony. Does it really count as a karaoke show if the only song you choose to sing is Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man? (We also apologize for all of the videos we sent to our friends, but face it, you guys LOVED it. Kodak moment for sure.)

Now that our little bestie trip is coming to end and our next Nola reunion isn't until Jazz Fest in April, I will go back to regular Ash-less life.

Have a good Sunday Funday, y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment